Falafel is a round chickpea patty that is common in Mediterranean diets. While this dish is traditionally fried, try this baked version as a healthier alternative!
- 1 (15-oz.) can no salt added chickpeas, drained
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place drained chickpeas in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- Add all other ingredients to chickpeas, stir to combine, and mash with potato masher until blended and slightly chunky.
- Using your hands, form falafel mixture into small patties (about 1 tablespoon each).
- Place patties on cookie sheet and spray tops with more cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn once, and bake for an additional 15 minutes until slightly brown and crispy.
- Serve in a whole wheat pita or on a salad. Tastes great with Tzatziki sauce!
- If you can’t find no salt added chickpeas, you can drain and rinse canned chickpeas to remove most of the sodium.
Nutrition Information / Amount Per Serving (5 patties): Calories 135, Total Fat 2.1 g, Saturated Fat 0.1 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 592.7 mg, Total Carbohydrates 26.6 g, Fiber 6.0 g, Protein 6.7 g