This simple mixture of black beans and millet pack in flavor and plant-based protein!
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 2 cups water
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 3/4 cups cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 can (14-oz.) drained, unsalted black beans (about 1 3/4 cup cooked dry beans)
- Just under 1/2 cup lime juice (juice from ~3 fresh limes)
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Rinse millet in a fine mesh strainer. In a dry medium saucepan, toast millet on medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until light golden brown. Add water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Spread cooked millet in a shallow pan and refrigerate until cool. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine chopped bell peppers, tomatoes, and cilantro in a bowl. Gently mix in black beans. If serving immediately, add avocado at this time. Otherwise, wait until just before serving.
- Mix the lime juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil with salt, black pepper and cumin. Pour over vegetables.
- Carefully toss vegetables with liquid mixture then refrigerate ready to serve.
Nutrition Information / Amount Per Serving (1 cup): Calories 202, Total Fat 7.4 g, Saturated Fat 1.1 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 245.1 mg, Total Carbohydrates 29.0 g, Fiber 6.3 g, Protein 6.0 g