This soup incorporates the wonderful and bold flavors of Puerto Rico while packing in fiber and plant-based protein.
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning*
- 2 (15-oz.) cans of no-salt added black beans
- 1 1/4 cups canned low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Lime wedges
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Stir jerk seasoning in a dry saucepan over medium heat until color slightly darkens and fragrance is noticeable, about 4 minutes. Be careful not to directly inhale spice fumes.
- Add black beans, vegetable broth, and olive oil. Use an immersion blender to puree to desired consistency (or transfer mixture to blender or food processor).
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lime wedges.
* Jerk seasoning:
2 tablespoons dried minced onion, 2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, 2 teaspoons ground allspice, 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (more if desired), 1/4 teaspoon salt (Makes about 3.5 tablespoons)
Nutrition Information / Amount Per Serving (1 cup): Calories 220, Total Fat 17.2 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 6.4 mg, Sodium 324.3 mg, Total Carbohydrates 12.8 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 7.9 g