Lentils are a great source of important nutrients and an easy addition to meals, like this soup. The coconut milk and spices in this soup make this a creamy and tasty lentil-based dish!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped (~1 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups French green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 Turkish bay leaves
- 1/3 cup coconut milk powder
- 2/3 cups cool water
- 1/2 teaspoon Sicilian sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro or a small dollop of sour cream
- Heat butter and oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add cumin, curry powder, thyme and cinnamon; cook and stir 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in broth, lentils, and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 35 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut powder to cool water and stir until powder is dissolved; add to lentils and simmer 5 minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves. Cool slightly.
- With an immersion blender puree the soup until somewhat smooth, leaving some whole lentils. If no immersion blender is available, carefully remove half of the lentils and place in a blender and blend until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to saucepan; mix well.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Top with chosen garnish.
Nutrition Information / Amount Per Serving (1 cup): Calories 247, Total Fat 9.6 g, Saturated Fat 3.3 g, Cholesterol 3.8 mg, Sodium 488.6 mg, Total Carbohydrates 27.6 g, Fiber 12.6 g, Protein 13.1 g