Dates, walnuts and maple syrup come together in this delicious gluten-free cake!
Makes 12 servings
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa flour –OR- amaranth flour
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts, divided 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup, preferably dark amber, grade B 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup confectioner’s sugar, gently packed 1 – 2 teaspoons water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 325oF. Coat a 10-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Place dates in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over them to soak. Let cool to room temperature.
- Process brown rice flour, quinoa flour, 2/3 cup walnuts, baking soda and salt in a food processor until the walnuts are completely ground and the mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to a medium bowl and make a well in the center of the bowl.
- Puree the dates and soaking water in the food processor until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add egg, 3⁄4 cup syrup, oil, butter, 2 teaspoons vinegar and vanilla and process until smooth and creamy. Scrape the date mixture into the well in the dry ingredients and stir together gently until just combined. Transfer to the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 – 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake, if necessary, and remove the sides of the pan.
- To glaze the cake, carefully lift the cake from the pan bottom and place on a cake stand or serving plate. Whisk maple syrup, vinegar and confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl. Add water, 1 teaspoon at the time, if necessary to make a spreadable consistency. Spread the glaze evenly over the top of the cake, then decorate with the remaining 1/3 cup walnuts.
Adjusted for 5,000 feet—will work from 3,500 -6,500 feet.
Nutrition Facts (serving size 1 slice / servings per container 12): Calories 350, Calories from Fat 140, Total Fat 16g, Saturated Fat 3.5g, Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 160mg, Total Carbohydrate 49g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 30g, Protein 4g