This recipe provides a gluten-free pizza dough recipe and discusses 3 different flour variations of the dough so that you can find your flavor and texture preference.
Makes 1 pizza (approximately 3-4 servings)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yeast
- Flour mix (see chart below)
- 4 ounces tomato basil and garlic Italian sauce
- 3⁄4 cup shredded
- 2% milk mozzarella cheese
- Additional toppings, as desired
3 Pizza Dough Flour Variations:
|Variation 1||Variation 2||Variation 3|
|1⁄2 cup + 3 1⁄2 teaspoons brown rice flour||1⁄2 cup + 1/8 cup sorghum flour||1⁄2 cup + 5 teaspoons sorghum flour|
|1⁄4 cup + 2 teaspoons buckwheat flour||1⁄4 cup + 1 1⁄2 teaspoons millet flour||1⁄2 cup + 5 teaspoons tapioca starch|
|1⁄2 cup + 5 teaspoons corn starch||1⁄4 cup 1 1⁄2 teaspoons buckwheat flour||1⁄4 cup + 2 teaspoons almond meal|
|1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons potato starch|
|1/8 cup quinoa flour|
- Put warm water (80 to 110° F) into a bowl. Add salt and honey and mix with a spoon. Add yeast, mix and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Gradually add flour and olive oil and start mixing. When the mixture gets too heavy to mix, start kneading the dough with your hands.
- Knead the dough until you have a smooth ball. If the dough cracks it is too dry. Add water bit-by-bit until if forms a nice coherent ball. If your dough feels more like batter, it is too wet and you need to add flour bit by bit. If you need to add water or flour, do it by small amounts.
- Coat the dough with olive oil, place it in a large bowl and cover it with kitchen wrap or a grocery bag. Let the dough rise for about an hour at room temperature, then push it down again so it deflates. Let it sit for about another hour. If you want to use it the next day, put it in a refrigerator.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface, put a bit of flour on top of the dough, and make it into the shape of a pie by stretching it out from the center outwards. Use a rolling pin until the dough is about 1⁄4 inch thick. Punch some holes in the dough with a fork to let the air escape while the pizza is in the oven.
- Spread on pizza sauce and add desired toppings.
- Bake the pizza in a preheated 400 – 450° F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes until the crust is light brown.
Adjusted for 5,000 feet—will work from 3,500 -6,500 feet.
Nutrition Facts (serving size 2 pizza slices or 126g / servings per container 3-4): Calories 340, Calories from Fat 90, Total Fat 10g, Saturated Fat 3.5g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 700mg, Total Carbohydrate 54g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 2g, Protein 10g.