- ½ cup grits
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup canned spinach, drained or frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic or ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 anchovy (optional)
- 1 Tbs oil or butter
- ½ tsp chile flakes
- 2 eggs
- Shredded or grated cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare grits according to package instructions. Add ½ tsp salt to the cooking water.
- Roughly chop the spinach. Mince the garlic and anchovy, if using.
- On medium heat, sauté the garlic, anchovy, and chile flakes in half the oil or butter. Cook for about 1 minute, until you can smell them.
- Add the spinach to the pan and toss, coating in the sauce. Cook until spinach is hot.
- In a separate pan, fry 2 eggs in the remaining oil or butter.
- Prepare 2 bowls. Scoop the grits into the bottom and top with cheese, salt, and pepper, if desired. Top this mixture with the spinach and then the fried egg. Sprinkle with additional cheese, pepper, and salt, if desired.
- You can substitute polenta or cornmeal for the grits.
- Add fresh or canned diced chile instead of chile flakes, making it as spicy as you like.
- Add canned or frozen corn, chiles, or green onions to the grits.