- 1-lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can kidney beans (15-oz.), drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp garlic powder or 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5-oz.)
- 1 can tomato sauce (14.5-oz.)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (15-oz.), drained
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 Tbs chili powder, to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil or dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, brown ground beef or turkey with the chopped onion. Drain off fat.
- Stir remaining ingredients into the meat mixture.
- Cook over medium-high heat until boiling. After reaching a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Replace the meat with a can of your favorite beans.
- Add fresh or canned chiles for more of a kick.
- Top chili with shredded cheese, sliced green onions, or a spoonful of plain yogurt.