Healthy weight loss, or even weight maintenance, does not have to be difficult. With balance and variety (and some physical activity), you can get all the nutrients you need each day and achieve your desired weight.
What should I be eating?
Generally, for successful weight loss or weight maintenance a diet that includes mostly fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein foods, and low-fat dairy products is best. These foods tend to be more nutrient dense, meaning they have a higher abundance of nutrients compared to calories.
- Fruits and vegetables can provide important antioxidants for keeping a healthy immune system and preventing certain diseases. Fruits and vegetables are also naturally low in calories, which helps promote weight loss or weight maintenance.
- Whole grains are also an important component of a healthy diet, as they contain high levels of important nutrients as well as dietary fiber. Experiment with many different types of grains such as brown rice, barley, tabbouleh, or oats. Read more about the health benefits of Whole Grains.
- Lean protein foods can help build and maintain lean muscle without adding excess calories. Foods such as fish, turkey or chicken, nonfat cottage cheese, tofu, and eggs are examples of lean foods that provide the protein you need without exceeding the number of calories you may need.
- Low-fat or fat-free dairy products such as milk, yogurt, and cheese provide nutrients with fewer calories from fat. Try substituting plain Greek yogurt for sour cream or choosing cottage cheese as a snack to keep you feeling full.
Enjoy these foods paired with physical activity for the most effective weight loss and weight maintenance!
Healthy Nutrition Bowl:
Try creating a nutritious, delicious, and filling meal with simple ingredients.
- Start with 1-2 cups fresh vegetables – greens, bell peppers, avocado, snow peas, shredded carrot, be creative!
- Add ½ cup your choice of cooked whole grain and about 2-4 oz. of a lean protein.
- Top with 1oz. or less of shredded cheddar cheese, cubed feta, or grated parmesan
- Finally, season with a vinaigrette dressing!