Joining a gym can be a great way to get the motivation you need to be more physically active, and also provide you with a support system that can help to achieve your fitness goals.
Consider a few factors listed below to help you determine if a gym membership is right for you.
- What type of physical activity do you enjoy? Gyms have a variety of equipment, from treadmills and stationary bikes to various free weights and weight machines. Many gyms also offer workout classes such as cycling. Make sure the gym you are looking into offers the equipment and/or classes that you enjoy.
- How often will you go? It is important to assess how often you think you will go to the gym relative to how much a gym membership costs, in order to determine if it is a good investment. If you think you may only go a couple times a month, it may not be the investment for you. In that case, getting outdoors may be a better option for you!
- What is the location? Look for a gym that is in a convenient location, such as on your way home from work, or close to your house. This will make it more convenient for you to go on a regular basis.
- What type of gym are you interested in? In addition to the traditional gyms, there are a variety of other established workout facilities, such as yoga studios, boxing gyms, climbing gyms, and cross fit gyms. Explore your local area and look for newcomer discounts or free trials before committing.
If you prefer to be physically active outside of the gym, alternatives to a gym membership might include:
- Getting outside to walk, jump rope, run, or bike ride.
- Using workout videos at home.
- Walking or running at a community track.
- Setting up a “home gym” by purchasing some equipment such as free weights and an exercise ball.
Whether it is at the gym or elsewhere, aim to be active every day
Did You Know?
Some gyms and workout facilities have childcare or classes for kids while you are working out. Consider looking into this if you have kids, so that you can be physically active, without having to find a babysitter!