When you think of beans, your mind may automatically go to savory dishes – but beans go excellently in baked goods, too. Whip up a batch of these bean blondies to see for yourself!
- 1/2 cup oats (or heaping 1/3 cup oat flour)
- 1 can great northern, cannellini, or navy beans (15-oz.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2-1/3 cup maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want the blondies)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (we used natural peanut butter)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Optional toppings: shredded carrots, chocolate chips, shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Drain and rinse beans well.
- Blend oats in a food processor or high-speed blender to the consistency of flour. Or, use a heaping 1/3 cup of oat flour.
- Add all other ingredients except the toppings to the food processor/blender and process until smooth. Scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish, muffin tin, or mini loaf pan. Transfer batter to the baking dish and top with desired toppings.
- Baking time will vary based on your pan and oven. Bake until the center has set and the edges brown slightly (about 22 minutes for an 8×8 baking dish). Remove from the oven and let sit for several minutes before slicing into squares or removing from the pan.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Warm them slightly in the microwave before eating if desired.