Do you live with diabetes and feel confused about what or how much to eat? The Plate Method is a great tool to help you create a balanced meal, while controlling your diabetes.
Use the Plate Method and follow these six simple steps at each meal:
- Use a 9-inch dinner plate. Divide it down the middle, and divide one of the halves again, so you have three sections on your plate.
- Fill the largest section with non-starchy vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, lettuce, and beets.
- In one of the smaller sections put grains or starchy foods, including bread, potatoes, rice, corn, and pasta.
- In the last section, put protein foods such as grilled chicken breast, fish, eggs, beans, or tofu.
- As your meal plan allows, add 1/2 cup fruit or a serving of dairy.
- Enjoy a low-calorie drink with your meal, perhaps water, un-sweetened tea, or a spritzer.
When you fill each section, keep portion sizes in mind, and do not pile on too much!
For more information about the Plate Method, check out: