Adding variety to your physical activity routine can help you to stay mentally engaged and motivated. Avoid boredom by finding new and exciting ways to shake up your physical activity habits.
Try one or more of these suggestions:
- Vary the speed. Whether you enjoy walking, running, biking, or some other aerobic activity, try varying the speed. For instance, instead of walking or running at one speed for 30 minutes, try warming up at a slower pace for 10 minutes, then completing two minutes at a hard pace followed by two minutes at an easy pace. Complete the alternating two-minute intervals up to 10 minutes and then cool down at an easy pace for 10 more minutes.
- Find different terrain. If you use a treadmill but not the incline feature, try adding an incline. Experiment with walking or running on trails instead of a flat road, or vice versa. Another option is to take a different route if you are biking or walking outside.
- Try a new activity. Experiment with new activities, such as workout videos at home, rock climbing at a gym or outside, hula hooping, disc golf, dancing, or yoga. If you don’t want to try a new activity alone, invite a friend or family member!
- Talk to others. If you aren’t sure what new activity to try, ask around or search a local newspaper or magazine. By finding out what others do to be physically active, you can get new ideas and then modify them as needed to find what works for you!
- Try a workout video. On cold or rainy days where being active outside is not an option, use a workout video to add variety. There are all types, from yoga to kickboxing and everything in between. Find one that you enjoy!
Not sure that you want to try a new activity alone? Bring a friend! Who knows, it may become your favorite new activity.
Did You Know?
Humans are creatures of habit. While this can be beneficial in some instances, being stuck in a rut can also lead to a lack of variety in our daily lives. There are health benefits that come with varying your physical activity regimen, which may also help you stay motivated and engaged.