Recipe and photo by A Legume a Day.
Peanut Butter Bean Blondies
Serves: 6 – 8
- 1.5 cups cooked white beans (=1 15-oz. can) of your choice (cannellini beans, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, etc.)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbs milk
- Salt (optional) – you may not need salt if using salted beans and salted peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Drain and rinse beans very well.
- Blend oats in a food processor or high-speed blender to the consistency of flour.
- Add all other ingredients (beans, maple syrup, peanut butter, vanilla extract, baking powder, milk, and salt if using) except the chocolate and process until smooth. Scrape down the sides as necessary. There are no raw eggs or flour, so you may want to taste the batter and decide if you want to add salt.
- Add the chocolate and stir in (do not puree).
- Spray a muffin tin, mini loaf pan, or 8×8 baking dish. Transfer batter to the baking vessel. If using a muffin tin, this will make 6 to 8 muffins, depending on how large you want them.
- Baking time will vary based on your vessel and oven. Bake until the center has set and the edges are firm (about 22 minutes for an 8×8 baking dish or 15-18 minutes in a muffin tin). Remove from the oven and let sit for several minutes to cool slightly before removing from the pan.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Warm them slightly in the microwave before eating if desired to enjoy melty chocolate.
- Chop up half of your favorite chocolate bar and ad that instead of chocolate chips.
- Instead of oats, you could use 1/3 cup of oat flour.
- Try topping with flaky sea salt before baking.