© Photo by A Legume a Day
This is an idea of how to set up a Southwestern Bowl topping bar for people to assemble their own bowls. Prepare ingredient amounts that work for the number of people. Put your own spin on it by making changes and additions as desired!
- Cooked black beans
- Cooked pinto beans
- Quinoa, brown rice, or other grain of your choosing – aim for about 1/2 cup cooked grain per person
- Chicken – the photo shows chicken thighs, but use whatever part you prefer
- To season chicken: cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper
- Neutral oil, to cook
- Neutral oil and salt, to sauté or grill zucchini
- Corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- Green bell pepper
- Red onion
- Green onion
- Chipotle Lime Sauce (see below)
Chipotle Lime Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Juice from 1/2 – 1 lime, to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 – 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook beans or rinse and drain canned beans and heat for serving. Cook grain of your choice according to package instructions. Place the grain and each type of bean in a separate serving bowl.
- Season chicken and cook, confirming the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees F.
- Cut zucchini into your desired shape and cook in a pan or grill with some oil and salt.
- If using fresh corn, cut kernels off the cob and cook to your preference (or cook first and then cut off kernels, but be careful to not burn yourself). Alternatively, warm canned or frozen corn kernels.
- Rinse and chop tomatoes, avocado, green bell pepper, and cilantro. Dice the red onion and slice green onions. Place in serving bowls.
- To a food processor or high-powered blender, add all the Chipotle Lime Sauce ingredients, starting with the smaller amounts of lime and chipotle peppers. Puree until smooth. Taste and adjust as desired.
- Once all the ingredients are in serving bowls with serving utensils, it is time to enjoy!
- Serve fresh watermelon for dessert.
- Take a photo of your unique bowls side-by-side to compare your masterpieces.