How to Store
Zucchini is soft-skinned and may bruise or scratch easily. Store it in the refrigerator produce drawer for 3-5 days.
If you will not be able to use zucchini before it spoils, freeze it. Clean, cut into ½-inch slices, and blanch (scald in boiling water) for 3-4 minutes. Cool in ice water, drain, package in freezer food storage bags or containers, and freeze. After freezing, the texture of zucchini is softer so it is best used in soups, casseroles or baked goods.
How to Clean
Wait to clean zucchini until just before using. Clean well under cool running water. Coarse vegetable brushes can damage the skin; instead, rub with your hands to help remove dirt and bacteria before cutting. Refrigerate cut zucchini and use within 1-2 days.
Five Tips for How to Use
- Stuffed zucchini – Stuff with corn, tomatoes, herbs, sausage, and brown rice or couscous.
- Zucchini casseroles – Make a cheesy summer casserole with other vegetables and brown rice.
- Zucchini fries – Grill or bake strips of zucchini with oil, salt, and pepper. Try additions like herbs, chili flakes, garlic, and parmesan cheese.
- Zucchini kabobs – Toss chunks of zucchini and other vegetables (like tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant, onions, and broccoli) in a bowl with oil and desired seasonings to coat lightly. Put vegetables on skewers and bake or grill.
- Zucchini noodles (“zoodles”) – Use in place of other noodles for a light summer pasta dish. Or, try slicing zucchini thinly to make lasagna noodles.
Zucchini Corn Fritters
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 4 medium zucchini)
- ¾ cup corn, canned, fresh, or frozen
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (green or regular)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- ½ teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Oil, to cook
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir well. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the moisture of the zucchini.
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Grease the skillet with oil and scoop ¼ cup servings of the fritter batter into the skillet.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serve warm, with desired toppings and sides.
- Add in other fresh or ground spices, like basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Add sundried tomatoes to the fritter batter.
- Serve with salsa and a spoon of plain yogurt or sour cream.
- Try using whole wheat flour or chickpea flour instead of all-purpose flour.