- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound walnut or pecan halves, or whole peeled hazelnuts
- 1 egg white room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Mix sugars, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon, making sure there are no lumps; set aside.
- Beat egg white and water until frothy but not stiff. Add nuts, and stir to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle nuts with sugar mixture, and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread sugared nuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet fitted with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven, and separate nuts as they cool.
- When completely cool, pour the nuts into a bowl, breaking up any that stick together.