© Photo by A Legume a Day
Refreshing Three Bean Salad
- 1.5 cups (= 1 15-oz. can) cooked white beans (cannellini, butter, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, etc.)
- 1.5 cups (= 1 15-oz. can) cooked red kidney beans
- 1.5 cups cut (bite-size) green beans, blanched
- 1 sweet bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange), chopped
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley (or herb of your choice), or to taste
- 2 Tbs white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Blanch the green beans in salted water until tender. They should be bright green and still somewhat crisp. Drain the green beans and chill in ice water to prevent from overcooking and becoming mushy. Drain again once cooled.
- Rinse and prepare the remaining produce and herbs. Add the salad ingredients (beans, produce, and herbs) to a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, make the dressing. Thoroughly mix the vinegar, olive oil, pepper, and salt.
- Add the dressing to the beans and mix well. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- If you like sweeter three bean salads, try adding a drizzle of honey.
- If you have time to marinade the salad in the refrigerator before serving, that will help the flavors blend.