Recipe and photo by A Legume a Day.
Summery White Bean Salad
- 1.5 cups (= 1 15-oz. can) cooked white beans (cannellini, butter, chickpea, black-eyed peas, etc.)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup cherry or sweet 100 tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 green onions, sliced OR a handful of chives, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (or herb of your choice), or to taste
- 2-3 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice (~1 medium-small lemon or ~1/2 of 1 large lemon), or to taste
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs roughly chopped capers, or to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste – you may not need more salt if you are using salted beans and lots of capers
- Drain and rinse beans well.
- Rinse and prepare produce.
- Add beans, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions/chives, and herbs to a large bowl and stir.
- In a smaller bowl, make the dressing. Thoroughly mix the lemon juice, chopped capers, olive oil, pepper, and salt.
- Add the dressing to the beans and mix well. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Try adding a cheese like (crumbled) feta.
- If you have time to marinade the salad in the refrigerator before serving, that will help the flavors blend.