These perfectly marinated and grilled shrimp are quick and easy to make– and pair well with this stovetop chickpea puree.
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 9 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (two 19-oz. cans)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Sugar snap peas, for serving*
- Light the grill or heat the broiler. Thread the shrimp onto skewers. Mix 2 tablespoons of oil, oregano, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Brush the shrimp with oil.
(Note: If broiling, place wire cooking rack on sheet pan.)
- In a medium saucepan, heat 5 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas, water, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt and heat until warmed through. Then, turn off the heat.
- With a potato masher, mash the chickpeas. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and the parsley. Cover to keep warm.
- Grill or broil the shrimp, turning once, until just done, about 3- 4 minutes total.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice. Mound the chickpeas on plates. Top with the shrimp skewers. Pour the lemon oil over the shrimp and chickpeas.
*Try serving with steamed sugar snap peas.
Nutrition Information / Servings (4) / Amount Per Serving (4 oz shrimp + ¾ cup puree): Calories 647, Total Fat 36.5 g, Saturated Fat 4.6 g, Cholesterol 170.0 mg, Sodium 770 mg, Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g, Fiber 8.4 g, Protein 36.9 g