This decadent gluten-free cake is filled with a raspberry jam and topped with a chocolate ganache.
Makes 12-16 servings
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthin gum
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup hot instant coffee (120oF)
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
Chocolate Ganache Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 pound dark or semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla together until well blended. Whisk the flours, sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Add the cocoa powder and mix until incorporated.
- Turn the mixer on low speed. Beat the dry mix into the egg mixture a third at a time, alternating with the hot coffee and ending with the dry mix. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake 25 – 28 minutes, or until the cake is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cakes in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the ganache topping, heat cream in the top of a double boiler until just under boiling. Add chocolate pieces and whisk until melted. Remove from heat and stir until cooled slightly and thickened.
- Place one cake round on serving plate. Cover cake with raspberry jam and place second cake round on top. Drizzle the chocolate ganache over entire cake. Place in refrigerator to set ganache, if desired.
Adjusted for 5,000 feet—will work from 3,500 -6,500 feet.
Nutrition Facts (serving size 1 slice / servings per container 12-16): Calories 390, Calories from Fat 220, Total Fat 25g, Saturated Fat 11g, Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 150mg, Total Carbohydrate 37g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 22g, Protein 5g