Lentils are a good plant-based protein source, and have many associated health benefits. This soup incorporates lots of flavor alongside this nutritious food!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, more for drizzling
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground chili powder or cayenne, more to taste
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (for a thicker soup eliminate water)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, more to taste and for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Plain Greek yogurt, for serving
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat until hot and shimmering. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper, and chili powder or cayenne, and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, water, lentils, and carrots. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover the pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Using an immersion blender purée soup until mostly smooth, but slightly chunky. If you do not have an immersion blender, take out 2/3 of soup, blend, and add back to pot.
- Reheat soup if necessary, then stir in lemon juice. Serve soup drizzled with good olive oil and topped with a dollop of plain yogurt, chopped cilantro, and extra lemon, if desired.
Nutrition Information / Servings (4) / Amount Per Serving (2 cups): Calories 319, Total Fat 12.8 g, Saturated Fat 1.8 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 880.6 mg, Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g, Fiber 7.0 g, Protein 13.4 g